OUT MONDAY 20TH JULY, Eureka Entertainment presents the classic “Mr. Vampire”, Ricky Lau’s influential and genre-bending horror-comedy, presented from a brand new 2K restoration making its worldwide debut on Blu-ray as part of the Eureka Classics range. The first print-run of 2000 copies will feature a Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase and Collector’s Booklet. It’s a vailable to order NOW from Eureka Entertainment and Amazon!
Check out our in-depth review
One of the most genre-defining (not to mention genre-defying!) horror-comedies imaginable, and one of the key Hong Kong blockbuster hits of the 1980’s, the popularity and influence of Mr. Vampire cannot be overstated. Spawning at least four sequels and countless spin-offs and imitations, this Hong Kong horror-comedy to end them all was an understandable crowd-pleasing sensation, and triggered a wave of jiangshi (“hopping vampire”) movies.
Produced by the legendary Sammo Hung, the original Mr. Vampire is essential viewing for anyone interested in the 80’s golden age of Hong Kong cinema.
Vampire-FU Frenzy — KFK Exclusive Action Clip
In a career-making performance, the late Lam Ching-ying is Master Kau, expert on all matters of the supernatural. When Kau and his two bumbling students, Man Choi (famous comedian Ricky Hui) and Chou (Fist of Legend’s Chin Siu-ho), exhume a corpse for reburial, things go frighteningly and hilariously awry when the cadaver is revealed to be a hopping vampire.
With the undead now on the loose, Master Kau is blamed for the chaos, and must work with his students to put the spirits to rest before the vampire’s own granddaughter (80’s Hong Kong action icon Moon Lee) gets bitten. Fighting the vampires with everything from sticky rice to filing down the bloodsucker’s fangs, the trio must defeat an increasing number of ghoulish dangers.
Hopping-Mad! — KFK Exclusive Action Clip
Director Ricky Lau would go on to make several more Mr. Vampire successors (as well as the related Sammo Hung sequel Encounters of the Spooky Kind II, with Lam Ching-ying as another vampire-battling master), but nothing tops the original for its classic fusion of screams and laughs, and it has never looked as eye-poppingly, vampire-hoppingly beautiful as this new Blu-ray special edition!
Blu-ray Special Features:
- Limited Edition O-CARD Slipcase with new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 units]
- PLUS: A Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing on the film [2000 units]
- 1080p presentation from a brand new 2K restoration
- Original Cantonese audio (original mono presentations)
- English dub track produced for the film’s original European home video release
- English dub track produced for the film’s original American home video release
- Newly translated English subtitles
- Brand new and exclusive feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
- Alternate end credits
- Archival interview with Chin Siu-ho [40 mins]
- Archival interview with Moon Lee [15 mins]
- Archival interview with Ricky Lau [12 mins]
- Original Hong Kong Trailer
This release is the ABSOLUTE MUST-HAVE edition for all Asian movie fans!
Lucky Kung Fu Kingdom readers can get their copy for FREE courtesy of our friends at Eureka Entertainment, BUT DO HURRY, COMPETITION ENDS SUNDAY 2nd AUGUST 2020!
All you need to do to be in with a chance of winning is “LIKE” the KUNG FU KINGDOM FACEBOOK PAGE, “SHARE” the Mr Vampire — Blu-ray Competition post and WRITE IN THE Mr Vampire — Blu-ray Competition POST’S COMMENTS section, your answer to the following simple question:
Sammo Hung directed, wrote and starred in which classic Jiangshi (hopping vampire) martial-arts comedy?
Winners will be notified via Facebook message by 23:59GMT/BST Monday 3rd August 2020.
- UK entrants only.
- Entrants must be 18 years or over.
- Entry is restricted to one entry per person.
- Multiple and automated entries will be disqualified.
- Winners will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
- Winners will be contacted via email.
- Prize will be sent to winners via UK Mainland post only.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Competition closes Sunday 2nd August 2020.