Old-school video game brawling action comes to head-to-head with ancient Shaolin legend in the upcoming video game, “9 Monkeys of Shaolin”. Set to make its console and PC debut this coming autumn, the game has debuted its official trailer online after making a splash at the recent Game Developers Conference, and you can see what powerful kung fu action “9 Monkeys of Shaolin” has to offer below!
The upcoming game, which is being produced through in partnership with Sobaka Studio and Buka Entertainment, is described in the official press release as “an intense top-down, close-quarters action game where you will punch and hack your way through enemies using basics of ancient martial arts only mastered by legendary Shaolin monks. 9 Monkeys of Shaolin marks a true rebirth of the iconic brawler genre in vein of old-school video games. If, as a kid you had hours of fun playing SNES or SEGA beat ’em up videogames crushing foes left and right then this new title from the creators of hardcore brawler, Redeemer, is definitely for you!”
The official plot synopsis also give gamers a glimpse into what they can expect from “9 Monkeys of Shaolin”:
“As a mere Chinese fisherman, Wei Cheng, you have to avenge the death of your friends and family slaughtered in a pirate raid at your peaceful village. Game protagonist is quite a tough nut to crack as he knows the basics of ancient martial arts only mastered by legendary Shaolin monks. Get your trusty battle staff ready for a challenging adventure in Medieval China and for merciless fights with hordes of various enemies. Action-packed battles, user-friendly controls and incredible atmosphere of great kung-fu movies of the 70’s – all makes 9 Monkeys of Shaolin a perfect choice for every true fan of really hardcore brawlers.”
Judging from the trailer, fighting game fans are in for quite a nostalgic treat with “9 Monkeys of Shaolin”, and the list of features for the upcoming game are sure to get them ready to break out their controllers as well. Among the features incorporated into “9 Monkeys of Shaolin” are:
- “3 unique fighting styles: fight on earth, in the air or use mysterious magic seals. Combine these elements to defeat every enemy in your way.
- Captivating narrative: discover the fascinating story of Wei Cheng and follow him as he rises from a simple fisherman to a master of Shaolin martial arts.
- Stunning visual style: unlikely combination of historical and mystical elements gives you an exciting experience from every scene that appears on-screen.
- Extensive character development system: you learn a great deal of ways to victory as you discover various unlockable perks, items and fighting styles.
- More than 25 different levels: Chinese villages, pirate ship, Buddhist monasteries, Japanese mansions, ancient ruins and much more.
- 10 types of Chinese and Japanese polearms, each with its unique traits. Discover the landscapes to find new items!
- Co-op play: invite your friend to help you fight through growing waves of enemies and complete the game together.”
Keep a Sharpie handy to note an official release date in your diary, gamers “9 Monkeys of Shaolin” hits consoles and PC in autumn, and it looks like it plans to hit hard!
Stay tuned for more news on “9 Monkeys of Shaolin” as it kicks and chops its way to consoles in this fall! In the meantime, what are your impressions of the trailer and the features for the game? Let us know in the comments below, join in the conversation on Facebook and follow us on Twitter. (Be sure to check out more of KFK’s video game coverage, for your virtually-FUelled kicks, too!)